middle of the 19th century Ottensheim was the only location between
Aschach and Linz, where it was possible to cross the Danube from
Mühlviertel to the south. Furthermore, a rock at the left river side,
the so called "Schröckenstein", blocked the way to Linz. So
all goods from Mühlviertel and Bohemia had to be shipped to the other
side of the Danube.
Before long the old ferryboat was unable to manage the growing needs of
transportation. About 1860 under the leadership of Jakob Sigl, the owner
of the local brewery, some Ottensheimer citiziens planned to build a new
On december 12, 1870 the government of Upper Austria granted to the new founded
corporation "Drahtseilbrücke Sigl & Compagnie" the right
of transporting persons and goods between Ottensheim and Wilhering.
In the course of a great public festival the new ferry was opend on july
The ship was consecrated by Abbot Alois Dorfner from the Wilhering
Abbey, which was the greatest joint owner besides the Bank of Upper
Austria (today: Oberbank).
Unfortunately the current business was not as good as expected. The
proceeds were not sufficient to pay off the interest at all. High water
and icedrift caused defects and further costs. In 1882 a high water
damaged the landing stage and the corporation had to be liquidated.
Dr. Nikolaus Ambos, doctor in Ottensheim, founded a new corporation,
still under the name "Ottensheimer Drahtseilbrücke Sigl &
CO". In 1933 Franz Sigl, who was a personally liable partner, left
the company. Instead of Sigl Mr. Hans Ambos joined the company. It was renamed in "Ottensheimer Drahtseilbrücke Hans Ambos
& CO" by then.
After the expropriation of the Wilhering Abbey by the Nazi regime in
1942 the "Reichsgau Oberdonau" joined the company but sold its
portions to the local government of Ottensheim. Until 1948, when the
Wilhering Abbey got back its portions, the municipal office of Ottensheim
was liable partner of the Danuebeferry Ottensheim.
On september 14, 1958 the general meeting decided to transform the company into a
private limited company. The name of the company was changed to
"Ottensheimer Drahtseilbrücke GesmbH." (Danuebeferry
Since the old boat from 1871 no longer met the requirements a new boat (with
a capacity of 40 t) was ordered from the shipyard in Linz ("Schiftswerft Linz
AG") at the price of ATS 1,270,000.-- (€ 92,300.--) at that time. The new ferry was put into
service on april, 25th 1964 and consecrated by P. Philibert Höbart.